College Archivist, Hilary (Lewis '09) Walczak , discovered more than 170 original World War II posters in the Rare Book Room of Henry Buhl Library. Neither current Librarian, Barbra (Bartos '92) Munnell, nor her predecessor, Diane Grundy '65, were aware of the posters' existence. The posters were originally sent to Carnegie Library, now Carnegie Alumni Center, during WWII. It was discovered that the Office of Wartime Information sent posters to factories, schools, post offices and libraries, which is most likely how they originally came to Grove City College. When the library moved from lower campus to upper campus in 1954, the late librarian, Isabel Forbes ’23, transferred the posters to a drawer where they would be untouched for over sixty years.
In the spring of 2015, The Grove City College Archive curated an exhibit displaying 30 of the newly found posters. The exhibit also highlighted the many efforts of Grove City College during the war including: the War Training program held on campus, the names of those GCC men and women who served, and items from the Victory ship named after the College. The exhibit was overwhelmingly successful and garnered not only regional but national media coverage.
To our Grove City College Heroes: Thank you to all who served in WWII and the families who supported them.
Note: If a name is missing from the list, please contact email@example.com.